Wednesday 6 July 2011

Avatar: Deforestation and Colonisation

Equipped with my special geek-chic glasses I was prepared to watch Avatar in 3D. After paying little attention to the deeper subtext of this Box Office smash I merely sat back and absorbed James Cameron’s big budget creation for the first time.

…3 hours later I left feeling rather deflated about my own existence, desperately wanting to seek a new life somewhere as exotic, preferably with my own legs unlike Mr Sully. After envisioning myself flying through the flying mountains of Pandora on my own mythical creature, running through the amazing glow in the dark forests, minus the hungry predators, I come to my senses. Get a life; it is not all it’s cracked up to be.

Take two: watching this movie for the second time confirmed the worst; the United States, this time using the military, again forces it’s self on a reluctant and self sufficient paradise, butchering the hope of ‘The People’. In Western style, with preparation that’s considered questionable, they go about committing heinous acts of deforestation and colonisation.

It came to me that this could be James Cameron biting his thumb at American History. Showing the genocide of Native Americans in the attempt at ‘civilised colonisation’ in terms that doesn’t out-and-out say ‘Shame on you America’, however it could simply be another excuse to blow sh*t up.

No comments:

Post a Comment